Saturday, August 18, 2012

#11 Harney Peak to Little Devil's Tower Trailhead


Since neither of the trails leading to Harney Peak make a loop, we thought it was perfectly fair to hike one up and take the other down, thus checking two trails off our list in one hike. That’s called efficiency. I don’t have much to say about the trail from Harney Peak to the Little Devil’s Tower trailhead, as it is similar to Trail #9. However, I do consider it the better of the two.

As I stated in my previous post, the trail from Sylvan Lake is more heavily used. This one is more tranquil. It borders the Cathedral Spires which are very cool. I’m looking forward to hiking the Spires trail. There’s also a section of Trail #4 that passes through a nice wooded area. Finally, though I can’t be sure of it without tracking it separately, our altitude graph suggests this trail would be somewhat easier to hike up.
I don’t want to discourage anyone from hiking Harney Peak. Reaching the top is indeed a rewarding achievement. But if you want to get more from your hike than an increased heart rate, I would recommend Trail #4.

[The stats for this trail are combined with those of #10.]

This is where Trail #9 and Trail #4 diverge.










The helicopter tour company was making a killing today.

























You can't see it very well in this photo, but the back of Pamela's legs and her feet were covered with dust. This was the dirtiest hike we've taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment